The iCEBreaker Bitsy FPGA board is an open-source educational FPGA development board in the Teensy form factor.
The iCEBreaker Bitsy is a great prototyping FPGA platform. It fits nicely into a breadboard, and can even be soldered on like an SMD module into your own project. The compatibility with the open source FPGA design flow through Yosys, nextpnr, IceStorm, Icarus Verilog, SymbiFlow, nMigen and others makes it a breeze to work with. This means the board is low cost and has a nice set of features to allow for the design of interesting projects. At the same time it still allows the user to use the proprietary vendor tools if they choose to.
Features & Specifications
Lattice iCE40UP5k FPGA
- 5280 logic cells (4-LUT + Carry + FF)
- 120 Kbit dual-port block RAM
- 1 Mbit (128 KByte) single-port RAM
- PLL, 2 x SPI, 2 x I2C hard IPs
- Two internal oscillators (10 kHz and 48 MHz) for simple designs
- Eight DSP multiplier blocks for signal processing such as audio synthesis and even software defined radio
- Low power consumption ideal for battery-powered applications
- Three 24 mA drive and 3 x hard IP PWM (can drive RGB LEDs and small motors)
- Plentiful, fast storage
- 128 Mbit (16 MB) quad SPI double data rate (QSPI-DDR) flash
- 64Mbit (8MB) quad SPI (QSPI) pseudo SRAM (PSRAM)
- Lots of I/O
- A current controlled RGB LED (current settable in the FPGA, also contains PWM hard IP)
- Two on-board indicator LEDs (one of the LED is shared with the PSRAM Chip Select line)
- One pushbutton
- USB-C connector capable of USB 2.0 operation. Fully controlled by the FPGA and available to your FPGA designs (Officially supported by the LUNA project)
- 24 GPIOs around the edge of the board, pinout compatible to the popular Teensy boards. Distance between pins is compatible with classic DIL IC sockets.
- Capable enough to host CPU softcores
- Programmable through a pre-loaded DFU bootloader (easy to use with dfu-util)
If you have additional questions about iCEBreaker, join the iCEBreaker Discord channel or our iCEBreaker forum and ask away! :)